Skip to main content

Mirror, Mirror on the wall....who is the evil one after all?


I will admit. One of the only reasons I started watching this show is because of Sarah Michelle Gellar. I loved her when she was Buffy (and to me she always will be Buffy) and was thrilled when I heard she was returning to television. When I read what the premise of her show was, I was even more intrigued and happy because this show sounded like something I would watch no matter who was the lead.
The plot of Ringer is Bridget, a recovering addict and alcoholic is in the witness protection following a murder she witnessed by a well-known crime boss who has never been caught because he has all of the witnesses killed. Bridget doesn’t think she will live to see the court appearance so she disappears, to her identical twin sister Siobhan’s place in the Hamptons. There, they reminisce and a little more back-story is given as to why these two sister’s are estranged (I believe Bridget was high or drunk and drove a car with her nephew, Siobhan’s son in it and killed him but nothing has been mentioned as of yet.)  They go out on a boat ride and everything seems like they are getting back to normal with them. Then Bridget wakes up from a nap and Siobhan is nowhere to be seen. Bridget assumes she killed herself because her clothes were found in the water a little ways away from the boat. The next scene we see is “Siobhan” returning home to Andrew and her stepdaughter, Juliet. But the twist is Bridget is actually Siobhan and she has taken over her identity. AS Bridget put it, she saw her opportunity and took it. And the road of being Siobhan becomes darker and darker the longer she is there and it gets pretty interesting with she finds out that Siobhan was having an affair with her best friend’s husband. Oh and she’s pregnant. But let’s not get carried away with revealing too much (although I might have, sorry!)
As I was watching the first episode, it was hard for me to get sucked in because the character (or characters) Gellar plays is very different than Buffy.  Bridget is very timid, closed off in an innocent way – not closed off in a Lisbeth Salander way (see my earlier blog on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.) She gets nervous she is stepping on people’s toes and worries that she will make a mistake with everything she does and says. Siobhan is more confident and has a much harder shell but again, she is different than Gellar’s role in Buffy. Siobhan has a mask up or a wall. She might seem confident and happy with who she is and her life but she isn’t. She looks sad and alone – and that would explain what happens at the end of the first episode which is the reason why I watched the next episode. Don’t worry, I won’t give it away.
Gellar is slowly making her way into the character of Bridget (posing as Siobhan) albeit it took her a couple of episodes for me to really believe her as the character.  The first episode and a half was almost painful to watch because she liked she was trying too hard to fit into the character – it wasn’t natural whereas Buffy was.  I know I shouldn’t compare 2 different characters of 2 very different TV shows but when you think of Sarah Michelle Gellar, the first thing almost everyone things of is Buffy. She will always be Buffy to her cult fans.
One thing I am nervous of is the CW pulling this show right when I am getting sucked into it. But as we have learned, television stations and studios don’t know a good show if it hit them in the head – Firefly, My So Called Life to name a few that they missed out on. So I will keep watching this show week after week because it is fun to watch and I do want to see what happens to Bridget – and if she ever gets caught in all of the lies she is telling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What feeds your soul?

What feeds your soul? This is a very large question filled with incredible, easy to discover answers but sometimes the hardest to put into practice. As a new mom (daughter, 14 months) I have had a hard time feeding my soul without feeling guilty. Every time I do something for myself that feeds my soul (reading, writing, watching my favorite TV show or movie) I feel guilty that I am not spending that time with my daughter. Even if my daughter is asleep or playing by herself which my wife and I want her to be able to do I still feel guilty that I am taking the time for myself instead of her.  The joys of motherhood! dTaking a step back for a moment, what does feeding your soul mean? In the simplest sense it means doing something that you love and/or are passionate about. No one can find out what you love other than you but some things could include reading, meditating, yoga, soaking in the bath, writing, anything. The choice is up to you. But the thing you have to learn is feeding

"For a Few to be Immortal, Many Must Die" - In Time

It is an interesting topic – living forever.   We all have said at one point or another we want the fountain of youth to bless us with eternal beauty and life.   But what would living forever mean? You would see history happen right before your eyes – and see it written in history books for children to read during school.   If you had been living forever, you could have seen the curse start for the Red Sox in 1918 and then get broken in 2004.   And again in 2007.   But what it would it mean?   By living forever, you don’t like a day in your life. If you live forever, what makes tomorrow so special.   The people in District 12 have it better than the rich – they have to make very moment, every second count. In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried, is set in 2161 where a genetic alteration has allowed humanity to stop aging past age 25.   But people are required to earn more time in order to stay alive past age 25 or their time runs out and they die.   Time is t

The Real Wall Street

**Spoiler Alert** Erin Duffy is a former wall street player, procuring a job in finance right out of college working her way up to analyst.  In her novel Bond Girl, Duffy takes us on a fictional tale (some say not so fictional) of a recent college graduate's first job out of college - Wall Street.  Alex Garrett has dreamed of a job on Wall Street - money, fame, expensive dinners, parties every night, everything a person can dream of working in the financial world.  That is if you are a man. Alex believes her career in the financial world will give her the money and freedom to do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants and be whoever she wants. What she doesn’t realize is the true nature of the boys club that is the financial world.   The minute she sets foot in the pit of Cromwell Pierce she is bombarded with male testosterone beyond anything she has ever known.  Every stereotype of the male species is glorified in the first few chapters - secrets from the women, eyein