Skip to main content

Fall/Winter Finales - Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder


Ever since Lost decided to take a winter hiatus in their 3rd season, slowly other shows saw the type of hype they received from taking a few weeks off during the television season.  By giving viewers a cliffhanger at the end of 8 or 9 episodes, the shows gave them a way to interact with the season through their imagination.  The viewers could imagine where the story was headed, make assumptions about the rest of the season and even bring their imagination to life through the power of writing.  Television has changed from a mindless set of shows on every day to a thought yearly plan where shows are strategically cut into 2 seperate storylines that intertwine at the most unlikely of places.  This television season most, especially dramas, have taken this path to include a winter finale which airs in mid to late November, takes about 6-8 weeks off and returns full force until the end of the season in May.  For my shows Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, NCIS, NCIS; New Orleans, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, Once Upon a Time and Revenge each had a winter finale.  Some were good, some were bad. Here I rank each of them and explain why this works for the season or why it doesn’t.



TGIT. That is all anyone has to say to know that it is Thursday night on ABC. And Thursday night on ABC is Shonda Rimes night. She has created 3 of the most popular and electrifying shows of the 21st century - with 3 of the most interesting leading ladies in prime time television.  I will skip the winter finale of Grey’s Anatomy because it was my least favorite and I am only watching it because my wife is watching it.  Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder are two of my favorite shows this season and neither disappointed with their winter finales.  Starting with Scandal, Kerry Washington is overdue on an Emmy.  Maybe two or three.  Her performance over the last two episodes, especially when with her father have been perfection.  She delivers her lines with attitude, grace and umph.  I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what she would do next and when she would crash and burn.  Besides Kerry’s performance, the storyline was interesting.  The writers did a great job of weaving in misguided plotlines to keep you away from guessing how the winter finale would end.  SPOILER ALERT.  When Olivia was kidnapped right from her own home, I assumed it was her father. But I was more than surprised that the Vice President put a plan in place in the event that the President would not go to war. The plan was to hit him where it hurt the most - Olivia.  That was a shocker.  And to have her be kidnapped right from her own home while Jake was in the next room getting pillows. I for one will be trying to figure out a) where Olivia is, b) what OPA will think when they find out she has been kidnapped and c) how Olivia is going to come out of this mentally.  


With How to Get Away with Murder, the question was who killed Sam? The answer was given and even though it seemed obvious to some the last 3 minutes of the episode did not. Throughout the entire first half of the freshman run, HTGAWM has earned their top spot (and well worth it) among the top primetime shows, both new and returning.  The story is intriguing, the characters are dynamic and the acting is above par.  Viola Davis has such a range of emotions and mannerisms throughout the first 9 episodes that you have no idea which one will show up at any time.  She is that good. In the winter finale, it is the night of the bonfire aka the murder of Sam Keating, Annalise (Viola Davis) husband.  Most of the Keating 5 have been covering up the murder and we have seen flashbacks to the event leading up to the murder and subsequent cover-up. The question on everyone’s mind is who did it?  However, the question on my mind was 2 parts - who killed Sam and how did everything go down.  Well, here is your SPOILER ALERT.  The boyfriend did it.  Wes murdered Sam because he was choking and killing his girlfriend, Rebecca.  But that wasn’t the most interesting part. In the last 3 minutes we see that Wes went back to the house to get the murder weapon. He tells dead Sam, “I’m so sorry” and we hear “Don’t be.”  Wes looks up and Annalise is sitting at her desk staring at her husband’s dead body.  SHE KNEW! Annalise went back to her house and found her dead husband. Mind blown! So far (as of 11/23/14) this has been my favorite and most frustrating winter finale of the season.  I don’t know how I will wait until January 29th to see what happens next with Annalise and the Keating 5.  


For all of my other shows, their fall/winter finales will air in the next few weeks.  Revenge and Once Upon a Time are the next two that I am looking forward to.  With Once I was hesitant about the Frozen storyline but it has found a place in the Once realm. The part where I believe the writers/producers are reaching is The Snow Queen. I can’t seem to put my finger on it but I don’t like the character and I cannot stand Elizabeth Mitchell in this role.  She seems as if she is trying too hard to make this character come alive. It seems fake. Maybe she will redeem herself in the final episodes of the first half but for me she will have to do quite a lot to make this viewer happy.  

More on the fall/winter finales of my shows as they happen!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What feeds your soul?

What feeds your soul? This is a very large question filled with incredible, easy to discover answers but sometimes the hardest to put into practice. As a new mom (daughter, 14 months) I have had a hard time feeding my soul without feeling guilty. Every time I do something for myself that feeds my soul (reading, writing, watching my favorite TV show or movie) I feel guilty that I am not spending that time with my daughter. Even if my daughter is asleep or playing by herself which my wife and I want her to be able to do I still feel guilty that I am taking the time for myself instead of her.  The joys of motherhood! dTaking a step back for a moment, what does feeding your soul mean? In the simplest sense it means doing something that you love and/or are passionate about. No one can find out what you love other than you but some things could include reading, meditating, yoga, soaking in the bath, writing, anything. The choice is up to you. But the thing you have to learn is feeding

"For a Few to be Immortal, Many Must Die" - In Time

It is an interesting topic – living forever.   We all have said at one point or another we want the fountain of youth to bless us with eternal beauty and life.   But what would living forever mean? You would see history happen right before your eyes – and see it written in history books for children to read during school.   If you had been living forever, you could have seen the curse start for the Red Sox in 1918 and then get broken in 2004.   And again in 2007.   But what it would it mean?   By living forever, you don’t like a day in your life. If you live forever, what makes tomorrow so special.   The people in District 12 have it better than the rich – they have to make very moment, every second count. In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried, is set in 2161 where a genetic alteration has allowed humanity to stop aging past age 25.   But people are required to earn more time in order to stay alive past age 25 or their time runs out and they die.   Time is t

The Real Wall Street

**Spoiler Alert** Erin Duffy is a former wall street player, procuring a job in finance right out of college working her way up to analyst.  In her novel Bond Girl, Duffy takes us on a fictional tale (some say not so fictional) of a recent college graduate's first job out of college - Wall Street.  Alex Garrett has dreamed of a job on Wall Street - money, fame, expensive dinners, parties every night, everything a person can dream of working in the financial world.  That is if you are a man. Alex believes her career in the financial world will give her the money and freedom to do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants and be whoever she wants. What she doesn’t realize is the true nature of the boys club that is the financial world.   The minute she sets foot in the pit of Cromwell Pierce she is bombarded with male testosterone beyond anything she has ever known.  Every stereotype of the male species is glorified in the first few chapters - secrets from the women, eyein