Skip to main content

The Christmas Wedding

With another Christmas approaching without her soul mate, Gaby decides to make this Christmas one that she and her 3 children will never forget. She sends a video message to each of her children across the country asking them to come home for Christmas because she is getting married – and they won’t find out the groom until Christmas Day! Of course her kids are all up in arms trying to figure out who the lucky man is – Jacob, Tom, or Marty. What follows is a chronicle of her kid’s lives and hers leading up to their arrival at their childhood home? And throughout the whole story, two revelations are being worked out – 1, you can always go home no matter what and 2, sometimes you have to take care of yourself before anything else – and its ok.

Every year I pick a Christmas-themed book to buy and read for Christmas. This was the first book I saw and I had to have it right away.
I had never read a James Patterson book before. And I didn’t think a romance novel was going to be the first one I read by him either. But I am glad I did. This book made me want to read his other books. His gift for storytelling is wonderful. His combination of detail and action is very well balanced – the reader doesn’t feel as if they are getting too much description and not enough story-telling. The flow works well enough that I didn’t realize that I had read 160 pages in one sitting until I looked up at the clock and it was midnight. That is when you know it is a good book and a very well structured book.

But besides the storytelling and the talent of James Patterson, the overall theme of its ok to put yourself first was prominent in every page. Gaby is so worried about everyone else – her best friend, her kids, the 3 men she might be marrying – that she puts herself on the back burner and it takes her almost the entire book to say to herself, “its okay. I can put myself as #1 and I’m not offending anyone.” You have to put yourself first sometimes because if you don’t, how are you going to know when you have reached your breaking point or to ask people for help. At the end of the book, her children are standing in front of her telling her, “Mom, we are OK. You can worry about yourself. You need to. This is your life, your time. Embrace it.”

This was a quick, easy read but it was enjoyable. As I have always said, I don’t read the most intellectual, thought-provoking books. I read books that interest me in the first few pages – especially in the holiday season. Great book and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a book that will rejuvenate themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What feeds your soul?

What feeds your soul? This is a very large question filled with incredible, easy to discover answers but sometimes the hardest to put into practice. As a new mom (daughter, 14 months) I have had a hard time feeding my soul without feeling guilty. Every time I do something for myself that feeds my soul (reading, writing, watching my favorite TV show or movie) I feel guilty that I am not spending that time with my daughter. Even if my daughter is asleep or playing by herself which my wife and I want her to be able to do I still feel guilty that I am taking the time for myself instead of her.  The joys of motherhood! dTaking a step back for a moment, what does feeding your soul mean? In the simplest sense it means doing something that you love and/or are passionate about. No one can find out what you love other than you but some things could include reading, meditating, yoga, soaking in the bath, writing, anything. The choice is up to you. But the thing you have to learn is feeding

"For a Few to be Immortal, Many Must Die" - In Time

It is an interesting topic – living forever.   We all have said at one point or another we want the fountain of youth to bless us with eternal beauty and life.   But what would living forever mean? You would see history happen right before your eyes – and see it written in history books for children to read during school.   If you had been living forever, you could have seen the curse start for the Red Sox in 1918 and then get broken in 2004.   And again in 2007.   But what it would it mean?   By living forever, you don’t like a day in your life. If you live forever, what makes tomorrow so special.   The people in District 12 have it better than the rich – they have to make very moment, every second count. In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried, is set in 2161 where a genetic alteration has allowed humanity to stop aging past age 25.   But people are required to earn more time in order to stay alive past age 25 or their time runs out and they die.   Time is t

The Real Wall Street

**Spoiler Alert** Erin Duffy is a former wall street player, procuring a job in finance right out of college working her way up to analyst.  In her novel Bond Girl, Duffy takes us on a fictional tale (some say not so fictional) of a recent college graduate's first job out of college - Wall Street.  Alex Garrett has dreamed of a job on Wall Street - money, fame, expensive dinners, parties every night, everything a person can dream of working in the financial world.  That is if you are a man. Alex believes her career in the financial world will give her the money and freedom to do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants and be whoever she wants. What she doesn’t realize is the true nature of the boys club that is the financial world.   The minute she sets foot in the pit of Cromwell Pierce she is bombarded with male testosterone beyond anything she has ever known.  Every stereotype of the male species is glorified in the first few chapters - secrets from the women, eyein