Skip to main content

2 of 26, Wanted, and NCIS . . . Oh My!

As you can see, this post is unlike the other posts I have done. 3 things, entertainment wise have happened to  me in the past week and a half so I am sharing all 3 with you today. So let's jump right in to the first one, this venue being books.

My reading list has grown and I am 1 book closer to my New Year's goal. The #2 spot on my list goes to Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCaffertty. The story follows a 16-year-old girl through her sophomore year of high school all the while having to not have her best friend right by her side. The story is being told through journal entries and letters to her best friend. It is perfect for the main character. She feels isolated and alone after her best friend moves away so her only solace and comfort is her journal where she can write anything she wants without being judged or ridiculed. McCafferty paints a wonderful window into the life of a teenage girl with only her journal to confide in. most of us readers can relate to her parents being more into a sport than she is and her feelings (or something weird as she calls is) about the school misfit who has a bad history with her best friend. We all have known someone like that and perhaps we were that person. That was what I loved about this book - it was believable and relatible. I want to keep reading the series (so far 5 books in all) and learn how Jessica grows up, one number at at time.

Wanted is an in-your-face, brass action film. And it was very good. The story line isn't anything a movie goer hasn't seen before - a secret society tries to recruit a person who is the lowest of the low in life and everything else and in time turns them into a person with amazing confidence and demeanor that borders on arrogance. Where this story differs from others is the how he was recruited, why and what happens after. I won't spoil it for you here thought - you will just have to watch the movie. Even if this type of movie isn't your cup of tea, watch it just for the way James McAvoy (who plays the recruit) goes from the scum of the earth to one of the best assassins in the world. His demeanor changes in an instant and it never looks back.  That change is worth the movie alone.

After watching countless, random episodes on USA Network, I decided to start from the beginning and watch NCIS. Great decision. The show is 100% addictive and so cleverly intertwines drama and comedy in a way many shows have failed to do. You might think that to do this, the show needs a comic relief. And you would be right however instead of having only 1 character as the comic, NCIS has all of the main characters (yes, including Gibbs) as comic reliefs at least once in every episode. To me, that is fresh and it keeps me on my toes because you never know who is going to say something funny next. And sometimes when you think one character is going to say something funny - let's take DiNozzo for example - he surprises everyone with a heartfelt and serious response. The show is a great all around show - writing, directing, acting, etc. The story lines are new and fresh and believable which for me is the first thing that will turn me off. The storyline has to be believable (unless I am watching a science fiction show and in that case anything goes). I just finished watching Season 2 (I'll miss you Kate) and started Season 3. Hopefully these seasons will go by quickly so I can catch up to the current season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What feeds your soul?

What feeds your soul? This is a very large question filled with incredible, easy to discover answers but sometimes the hardest to put into practice. As a new mom (daughter, 14 months) I have had a hard time feeding my soul without feeling guilty. Every time I do something for myself that feeds my soul (reading, writing, watching my favorite TV show or movie) I feel guilty that I am not spending that time with my daughter. Even if my daughter is asleep or playing by herself which my wife and I want her to be able to do I still feel guilty that I am taking the time for myself instead of her.  The joys of motherhood! dTaking a step back for a moment, what does feeding your soul mean? In the simplest sense it means doing something that you love and/or are passionate about. No one can find out what you love other than you but some things could include reading, meditating, yoga, soaking in the bath, writing, anything. The choice is up to you. But the thing you have to learn is feeding

"For a Few to be Immortal, Many Must Die" - In Time

It is an interesting topic – living forever.   We all have said at one point or another we want the fountain of youth to bless us with eternal beauty and life.   But what would living forever mean? You would see history happen right before your eyes – and see it written in history books for children to read during school.   If you had been living forever, you could have seen the curse start for the Red Sox in 1918 and then get broken in 2004.   And again in 2007.   But what it would it mean?   By living forever, you don’t like a day in your life. If you live forever, what makes tomorrow so special.   The people in District 12 have it better than the rich – they have to make very moment, every second count. In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried, is set in 2161 where a genetic alteration has allowed humanity to stop aging past age 25.   But people are required to earn more time in order to stay alive past age 25 or their time runs out and they die.   Time is t

The Real Wall Street

**Spoiler Alert** Erin Duffy is a former wall street player, procuring a job in finance right out of college working her way up to analyst.  In her novel Bond Girl, Duffy takes us on a fictional tale (some say not so fictional) of a recent college graduate's first job out of college - Wall Street.  Alex Garrett has dreamed of a job on Wall Street - money, fame, expensive dinners, parties every night, everything a person can dream of working in the financial world.  That is if you are a man. Alex believes her career in the financial world will give her the money and freedom to do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants and be whoever she wants. What she doesn’t realize is the true nature of the boys club that is the financial world.   The minute she sets foot in the pit of Cromwell Pierce she is bombarded with male testosterone beyond anything she has ever known.  Every stereotype of the male species is glorified in the first few chapters - secrets from the women, eyein