Skip to main content

Discovery of Witches: Season 1

A Discovery of Witches, one of my favorite books of all time recently was turned into a series by Sky One, a Canadian and UK based production company. It was released in the US via Sundance Now and Shudder (streaming services) on January 17th. Naturally I watched all 8 episodes of season 1 in 3 days.  And then it took me 2 days to process how I felt about it. Conclusion, still not sure.

I read Discovery of Witches back in 2013 and again at the end of 2018.  I loved it then and love it now. Deborah Harkness creates a fantastic world of witches, vampires, demons, and humans it is hard not to get sucked in.  The love between Matthew and Diana on paper is incredibly powerful, tugging at your heart in ways you never thought possible.  I hoped that whenever this story was sent to the big or little screen the love would resonate on screen just as much if not more than on the pages of the book. Unfortunately what I have come to realize is that the book is much better than the television series and for me the television series was a disappointment. 

Before I get into what made this a disappointment, let me first start out with what I enjoyed about the series. Matthew Goode and Teresa Palmer who plays Matthew and Diana were magnificent. They were able to embody the spirit of Matthew and Diana as best they could given the script and storyline they were given. The love they were able to produce was wonderful, making me fall in love with the characters all over again. Goode was able to show an incredible range of emotions (stoic, anger, love, peace) and that is not easily done over only 8 episodes. Palmer went from invoking a strong, independent thinker who in a matter of hours is thrust into a swirling world of witches, vampires, demons who all want a piece of her and she has no idea why. Palmer’s ability to go from an independent woman to someone who has to rely on others for survival because she is in the dark about everything is wonderful. She plays Diana exactly how I would have thought and imagined. 

This is where my love for the show essentially ends.

The book is by far one of the best books I have ever read. The story, characters, and plot points that Harkness creates are so moving, the reader is sucked in without even realizing adn before they know it, they have 75 pages read and want to read more. There is an incredible amount of plots and storylines in this novel that it is no wonder they could not put everything into the show. However, I believe the reason why this show failed for me is because they left out some critical pieces of storyline, many having to do with Diana.  Despite Palmer’s incredible performance it felt like the writers created a different Diana for on screen. In the book, Diana is fearless before she realizes what is going on. She knows that she can do magic but she tries to choose not to. She understands a little about the magical world, enough to make her realize she doesn’t want anything to do with it. During the course of the novel, she becomes trapped in a world that is her own but knows nothing of it having to rely on other people to guide her. But right after she is torrtured by Satu she starts to realize that she needs to be taught, she needs to learn things to protect herself and Matthew. And she grows stronger and stronger until the end of the novel. In the show, it seems to me the writers kept her as this fragile, confused woman who needed help at every step of her life instead of realizing that at one point in the novel she decided to take action and arm herself because she knew what she needed to do.  She knew that only she could save herself so she did just that. She was a much stronger character in the book and I was disappointed to watch that character not come to life in the show. 

The other reason why the show disappointed me was they completely removed the relationship that Ysabeau (Matthew’s mother) adn Diana forged while at Sept Tours. They formed  a small mother/daughter bond but the show never talked about it and never formed it which made me said. Diana never had a mom figure growing up (even though she was living with her Aunts) and to have Ysabeau accept her (albeit reluctantly at first) was an incredible motherly act that forged their bond. The book went deep into that but the show didn’t. I am not sure if the writers didn’t have time (which they probably didn’t) or if they just simply skipped over it deeming it not important. On the contrary to me this plot in the story was very important because Ysabeau was able to get her out of her witch water episode when Matthew left by singing to her like a daughter.

In the end, this show was worthy of my time and I will watch season 2 and 3 whenever they come out. I just hope that they order more than 8 episodes for each season because the first season seemed too cramped and rushed through.  My only having 8 episodes they were unable to build on the relationships between Ysabeau and Diana, Matthew and Hamish, and Matthew/Miriam/Marcus/Ysabeau.  I feel those relationships are an integral part of the trilogy and am hoping that the choice not to include those relationships will not haunt them in season 2 and 3. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What feeds your soul?

What feeds your soul? This is a very large question filled with incredible, easy to discover answers but sometimes the hardest to put into practice. As a new mom (daughter, 14 months) I have had a hard time feeding my soul without feeling guilty. Every time I do something for myself that feeds my soul (reading, writing, watching my favorite TV show or movie) I feel guilty that I am not spending that time with my daughter. Even if my daughter is asleep or playing by herself which my wife and I want her to be able to do I still feel guilty that I am taking the time for myself instead of her.  The joys of motherhood! dTaking a step back for a moment, what does feeding your soul mean? In the simplest sense it means doing something that you love and/or are passionate about. No one can find out what you love other than you but some things could include reading, meditating, yoga, soaking in the bath, writing, anything. The choice is up to you. But the thing you have to learn is feeding

"For a Few to be Immortal, Many Must Die" - In Time

It is an interesting topic – living forever.   We all have said at one point or another we want the fountain of youth to bless us with eternal beauty and life.   But what would living forever mean? You would see history happen right before your eyes – and see it written in history books for children to read during school.   If you had been living forever, you could have seen the curse start for the Red Sox in 1918 and then get broken in 2004.   And again in 2007.   But what it would it mean?   By living forever, you don’t like a day in your life. If you live forever, what makes tomorrow so special.   The people in District 12 have it better than the rich – they have to make very moment, every second count. In Time, starring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried, is set in 2161 where a genetic alteration has allowed humanity to stop aging past age 25.   But people are required to earn more time in order to stay alive past age 25 or their time runs out and they die.   Time is t

The Real Wall Street

**Spoiler Alert** Erin Duffy is a former wall street player, procuring a job in finance right out of college working her way up to analyst.  In her novel Bond Girl, Duffy takes us on a fictional tale (some say not so fictional) of a recent college graduate's first job out of college - Wall Street.  Alex Garrett has dreamed of a job on Wall Street - money, fame, expensive dinners, parties every night, everything a person can dream of working in the financial world.  That is if you are a man. Alex believes her career in the financial world will give her the money and freedom to do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants and be whoever she wants. What she doesn’t realize is the true nature of the boys club that is the financial world.   The minute she sets foot in the pit of Cromwell Pierce she is bombarded with male testosterone beyond anything she has ever known.  Every stereotype of the male species is glorified in the first few chapters - secrets from the women, eyein